"Libraries are magical places. There's nothing quite like strolling the hushed aisles, letting your eye rove along dimly lit shelves. Each spine, each title, seems to beckon with a promise of incredible wonders, surprises, and adventures. "
- - John Jakes
NOTE: most sites will open in a new browser window or tab.
- California Dept. of Aging
- See their Related Links - List of Helpful Sites
- San Fernando Valley Senior Services
- Many categories of local services from the Encino Chamber of Commerce
- ONE Generation
- Local free programs and resources for seniors, children, and their families: yoga, lunch, daycare, Farmer's Market, advice. Check the menus: Programs -- Senior Enrichment Center for a full list of programs and services including their class schedules and Friday movie schedules.
- S.A.G.E. - Study - Activity - Growth - Enrichment
- The SAGE Society is a learning-in-retirement organization for retired and semi-retired seniors interested in intellectual and cultural stimulation. SAGE operates under the auspices of the Roland Tseng College of Extended Learning at California State University Northridge.
- Pierce College Encore
- Encore is a Pierce College program designed for older adults. Encore offers classes focusing on topics that promote independence, community engagement, personal growth and development, physical and cognitive health, and economic self-sufficiency.
- The National Senior Citizens Law Center
- The National Senior Citizens Law Center is a non-profit organization whose principal mission is to protect the rights of low-income older adults. It offers publications such as: "20 Common Nursing Home Problems -- and How To Resolve Them"
- Suddenly 65 - Information and advertising
- "Places to go, people to meet, things to do and discover in the Greater Los Angeles area for those energetic on-the-go active group of people over 60." Includes archives with previous newsletters.
- Senior Health
- Center for Healthy Aging
- Part of National Council on Aging. Look at Health Topics
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Scroll down for a list of websites on various topics such as falls.
- National Institutes of Health
- Health and wellness information for older adults.
- In-Your-Face Fitness: Dumbbells can make you brainy from the Los Angeles Times, February 13, 2012
- Several studies show that even moderate exercise can boost cognitive ability. Adding an exercise routine can also add brain power, no matter what your age.
Presentation from the Los Angeles Department of Aging
Ms Rosario Isip explained the services offered by the Department of Aging
Refreshments were provided by the Friends of the Library
Ms Sheree Adams, Aide to Councilman Dennis P. Zine, mentioned help available through the Councilman's office.
All seats were filled for the presentation.
Suggestions for this page? Email the webmaster: email@example.com